Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The past couple of weeks...

We've been busy trying to keep up with a house full of little boys!  It's hard to find the time to keep up with the blog, but I want to keep family and friends updated as to what we are doing... 

John is working hard on his first paper- at least the first one on which he is first author.  It's about a new way of moving a robot arm with a camera on the end-- it's very complex, and if I wanted to explain it here, I wouldn't be able to.  I honestly have no idea what he's studying, besides that it's related to robotics.  I understand very little of what he is doing.  I wonder if he knew he was marrying someone so clueless when it comes to computers, robots, and all of things he knows so much about... Too late now! :)

John spends his spare time making an ipod game and gardening.  He's pretty proud of his little garden, and it is actually producing this year.  We have gotten spinach, and need to get our lettuce out soon.  We have peas coming up, and tomatoes look promising.  The only thing that hasn't seemed to take at all is the broccoli.  John is also spending more time exercising, in fact, he's pretty proud of the fact that he's lost some weight.  He's been lifting weights and running pretty regularly.  I'm just happy that he's maintaining more healthy habits.  I want to keep him around for a while.  

I've been finishing up with this year of preschool for Adam.  I teach for the last time in 2 weeks. Then, we'll be free for the summer.  I look forward to unstructured time with the kids.  It'll be fun to just play, or go to the library, or whatever.  Adam does love his preschool, though, and likes to have things to do every day.  Every morning, when he's getting dressed, he asks 'What are we doing today, Mom?'  And he's often disappointed when I tell him we have no plans.  He's quick to suggest something we can do-- 
Here we are, getting ready to go to the playground, and the boys cannot go without their sunglasses!

Adam is also finishing up with teeball for the season.  He has really liked it.  Now we are thinking of starting him in soccer in the fall.  

Jacob is still crazy as ever.  He's the king of random comments, and is really good at saying things that are, well, random.  We have no idea where he comes up with some of the things he says!  He likes playing outside, playing with cars, and copying his big brother.  

Here they are- on the father/son campout a couple of weeks ago.  They had so much fun!  Mom had fun too- in fact, I told John they should do more of those!  Those are the weekends that I'm glad I have boys-- it gave me a chance to relax a little bit, even if only for one night!  Maybe I'm horrible for even saying that!  I love my boys, but it's nice to have a little peace and quiet every once in a while!  

Jacob's newest fascinations are bugs and worms, and anything that moves in the dirt.  He'll pick anything up, where his big brother doesn't do more than look at those wriggly things in the mud.  He loves to stomp mud puddles, and I think he has a sixth sense for smellling a puddle as far away as a half mile.   I've been successful in the last few days at convincing him that stomping in mud puddles is only fun in rain boots!  Thank goodness-- since it has rained about half of the time in the last month.  Jacob also loves kissing and holding his little brother.  

Aaron is growing so fast, and has become very talkative over the last couple of days!  But I guess that's understandable- he has two brothers who talk constantly (I think we have John to thank for that).  His favorite things have changed very little: eating, sleeping, and smiling at his brothers, mommy and daddy.  I guess we do have a couple of new ones to add to the list: he likes to roll on his side and suck on his hands (until he gags himself, at which point I have to extract his fist from his throat)--  

A couple of weeks ago we took a family trip to the zoo - we were able to get in for free, so we took advantage!  




Well, that's about all for now, but thought I should update, and add some recent pictures!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for the new post. I check just about every day to see if there is something new. And I know after we post something new on our blog we look back about every 10 minutes to see if someone posted a comment so I thought I would reward you for posting something. John looks great too. I think there's a difference from the blessing pic to now. Joe and I are trying to eat more healthy and exercise more. I've got to shed some of the pregnancy weight still. My biggest downfall right now is ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to hear what the boys are up to, they look so cute in their sunglasses! :) Aaron has gotten big...how old is he now?
    We miss you guys, I still catch Ian and Mia saying "What the heck!" every now and then. And they never forget to say,"That is what Adam says." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not close to horrible for saying you enjoy a few 'moments' of peace & quiet. Enjoy them when they come!

    The boys are so cute and all are growing.

    Congrats to John for exercising. I need to do some fast. I think I have gained 10lbs in the last 6 months. My John has been biking 10-15 miles. I don't have a 'real' bike and I'm not confident I could make it that far!

    Love you guys! Melanie

    ReplyDelete